Students spend an average of 6.8 hours of their day in school and nearly half of a child’s daily food consumption is done while in school. This is why we focus on and support the importance of healthy school meals and school environments.
Farm to School
The Farm to School movement aims to empower children and their families to make informed food choices while also supporting their local economy by incorporating healthy food options and nutrition education within school systems. Farm to school program implementation varies based on location, however, the program typically includes local procurement, interactive education or hands-on learning through school gardens. Farm to school doesn’t just benefit children, Farm to School also benefits local producers/manufacturers and the community as well! Find our most recent State of Farm to School in Orange County report here.
Orange County Farm to School Task Force
Orange County’s Farm to School Task force was formed in late 2013 with the following objectives in mind:
- Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables among K-12 students.
- Better connect students with the source of their food through food literacy programs.
- Increase procurement of local food, which in turn support local farmers.
This 2018 year, the Farm to School Task Force is focusing on 1.) increasing in class nutrition education, 2.) increasing number of school gardens with standard based curriculum and 3.) increasing participation in California Thursdays.
Our Farm to School Task Force meetings are open to the public! If you are interested in participating, see our calendar for meeting information.
Recess Before Lunch
Would you work out on a full stomach? No, so why do we make our students run after they eat
Recess Before Lunch (RBL), or also known as Eat Before Play, is a Farm to School program that aims to increase the nutritional intake by strategically scheduling recess before lunch. This simple change has proven to benefit and improve health, behavior, social skills, academic achievement and the child as a whole. We believe that what you eat doesn’t just affect your body, but all these factors as well.
Find our Recess Before Lunch Toolkit (Lunchbox Edition) below! Email Leslie Grace Sulite for more info.
Other School Nutrition Resources
- 2014-2015 State of F2S in OC District Report
- 2015-2016 State of F2S in OC District Report
- Farm to School Programs
- 2015-2016 OC School District Farm to School Infographics (Coming soon)
- Recess Before Lunch Toolkit
- Administrator’s Guide
- Gaining Support
- Letters of Support (Coming Soon)
- 2017 Orange County WellSAT Study Report
- 2016-2017 OC School District WellSAT Assessment Infographics (Coming soon)
- The Justice Leaf Comics (Coming Soon!)